Friday, November 16, 2012

Learning more about birding everyday! :)

Hello Bird Nerds!  I know that my blog has been skimpy on the pictures lately and I promise to get some new bird pictures up soon once our weather clears up a bit.  We have had cold fronts and now other odd weather out to the east of us that is causing birds to be pretty scarce lately.  Nonetheless I never pass up a chance to learn more about birds so here is what I did tonight.....

Tonight I watched "Bird Park 3D" on Netflix (doesn't have to be in 3D but that is it's title) and I learned some new facts about Pelicans.  I live in Florida so if you go to zoos or parks in the summer it is definitely hot hot hot!  I've noticed that some of the birds will seem like they are panting so I just assumed it was because they are hot.  Well today I learned that the Pelicans and their cousins the Cormorants will slightly move their beaks and puff air into their throat poach to cool themselves down!  Seems so simple but it was just one of the things I assumed was just a panting reaction but instead they are doing it on purpose as a cooling method. 

I also found it interesting that the reason Pelicans are usually seen soaring in the sky is because they are not able to flap their wings for very long.  They will flap them and use their feet quite clumsily to get themselves in the air but since they used all that energy to get up there they have to find high wind pockets to keep them up. 

Anywho I hope everyone is having a great week!  Please feel free to comment on my blogs or tell everyone about your own birding adventures!  I look forward to hearing your stories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment