Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hello again bird nerds:)  I used to have a picture of a turkey but I was not able to find it.  However, recently on my trip to central Florida to visit my brother I saw some wild turkeys:)  I am including a picture of a wild turkey from enature.com which is a wonderful site to find a lot of information on birds and other wildlife.  I have learned that the male turkey has many tactics to attract a lady turkey:)  The red "gobbler" as I've always called it under their chin is actually called a wattle and the flap of skin hanging from their nose is called a snood.  The female turkey like many other species of birds are much less colorful and flamboyant.  The males apparently need all of these extravagant features to attract the females.  The males also do a "strut" for potential females lol much like humans if you think about it lol:)  Well I hope everyone has a very happy and safe Thanksgiving:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment