Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!!!! :)

Well I'm back from an awesome weekend but unfortunately I don't have any birds to show that are scary or have anything to do with halloween:(  However I did see a certain bird on my trip that I haven't seen in a while.....please let me introduce...Mr. Sandhill Crane!!!....


This picture was actually taken in January 2010 but this weekend my trip was lousy with them!  I first encountered this creature in Gainesville, FL when I was at college.  They usually showed up around beginning of winter and would leave by end of spring.  They have, to me, an extremely obnoxious call especially when they are all together! Lol, but I did encounter them again when I lived in Groveland, FL and Tavares, FL.  Groveland is about 30-40 minutes west of Orlando, FL and Tavares is about 50 minutes northwest of Orlando, FL.  They are pretty amazing to see in person just because they are quite big!  The average height is around 2-4 ft!!  They are quite peaceful and just mind their business digging into the ground for bugs but my goodness you definitely know when they migrate into your area.  Here is a site that you can hear their just delightful call lol :)  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sandhill_Crane/sounds  All in all they are definitely a neat bird to see just because of their size and the really vibrant red forehead.   Again hope y'all had a Happy and safe Halloween!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment